Tips Before You Head Out and Up
What to wear:
Think about what season it is (look outside and check the weather) and dress accordingly.
Nothing spoils a good hike than being uncomfortable.
Footware: hiking boots, sneakers, sandals, high socks to protect from the poison oak
Below the waist: shorts, jeans, jogging pants, sweat pants
Above the waist: tank-top, tee-shirt, sweater, jacket – fleece and/or waterproof/windproof. Stay away from cotton. It doesn’t wick moisture away from the body very well and takes a long time to dry out.
Head: Bandana, Hat, sunglasses
What to Bring:
- snacks – fruit, powerbar, trail mix. Pack out what you bring in.
- pen and paper
- backpack or waist pouch (to put your stuff in)
- plastic bag (to clean up after your dog, please)
- Friends & Family
- A Good attitude!
- DO NOT leave valuables in your car.
- Go to the bathroom before you start your hike.
- There are port-a-potties just as you enter the trail above the parking lot of the main trail.
- Think of dressing in layers to allow for a comfortable hike.
- snake bite kit (you never know. there are rattlesnakes)
- Something to ease the ichiness of poison oak like Calamine, Hydrocortisone, vinegar,rubbing alcohol(you can leave this in the car)
- Remeber you will see plenty of people on a nice day and everyone hikes at their own pace. Show common courtesy when passing others or if your slow allow others to pass you.
Have a great hike!